Art 211 Favorite Broadways

The Color Purple, staring Cynthia Erivo and Jennifer Hudson was one of the most soulful, inspiring, and beautiful broadways I've ever seen. Originally there based on Jennifer Hudson's appearance, I was quickly drawn in to the beautiful voices of everyone else. It was no longer about who famous was playing the roles, it was about who was playing the roles, and they were playing it well. Cynthia Erivo's performance was phenomenal. Her voice carried out her soul, and mine as well. I saw the play January of Senior year of high school for a theatre trip to New York. This Broadway is something I would recommend to anybody. It tells the hardships of family and love, hurt and regret. It highlights the ideals and expectations of society, to the strength of feminism and desire. Growing up, everyone in my family knew of The Color Purple. I was excited to see that it has become a play, and the play did not let me down. Not one bit. It was the type of play you would laugh, cry and sympathize with the characters.

Motown the Musical was an African American like The Color Purple play based off of Motown, where famous people like Michael Jackson, Dream girls, and the Temptations rose to stardom. I saw it in Virginia just a year or two ago. It was spectacular in that it brought a wide range of actors to play these famous characters and get their voices spot on. At first when watching the play I originally thought it was only for singing, but quickly realized there was a story to the voices, and it goes over briefly the stories and creation of Motown.

One other play that I loved that isn't on the list of Michael Kantor's blog, is The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time. The play was about an autistic boy who tries to find the killer of the dog he deemed precious, and ends up finding out that it was his dad that kills the dog. The boy leaves home and goes to find his mother all by himself. The play highlighted a few aspects of family, trust, and betrayal. one of the most beautiful plays I've ever seen and will forever be grateful to my teacher for giving us an opportunity to see it in new York.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art 211: Performance art

Art 211 Combination project: Smoothie Phone