Art 211: Performance art



Jen was my partner!
When we were thinking of my piece, I looked at things I usually enjoy. I enjoyed watching people recording and doing weird stuff in stores and always wondered if I could ever do that. Since I have an overwhelming sense of social anxiety, I try not to draw attention to myself, yet wish that I could do the things youtubers do best. My piece is based on just contently being yourself. I want to illustrate that you can be weird and do what you please in public, no matter what the public eye says.

I see performance art as an interesting concept. from flash mobs to protest, performance art can really have an everlasting memory for those who see it. Some performance arts can be seen as extreme, and can be essentially violent to oneself, bodily harm to make a statement can be seen as too intense for public eyes, but it does make a statement. whether it reaches the peoples minds can be a challenge.

When the performance is recorded I think a lot more people can see it, therefore you get more views specifically through media since media travels so fast. I believe that if a person is to do performance art in this area and time period, they would need to do it through the media. This generation is informed fast and are addicted to the technological advances.

Three performance artist that inspired me, was Marina Ambramovic, whose performance art is wide ranged and one of her performances dealt with seeking emotion through just staring at peoples eyes in complete silence. Joan Jonah is a performance artist and sculpture who played with manipulation of real life poses. And Martha Wilson who enacted on feminism and the feminine world. Some of the pictures I have seen of her displays thoughts and feelings only women would understand immediately. These three female performance artist go above and beyond protest in order to depict and explain to people the art of life and how people should see things.

I think what is to be done in performance art is more people coming together and exposing their self to the world. The aspects and cultures of the human race is too hidden from the realities of the world. In order to make an impact on people, more people have to come together. I also think that performance art shouldn't be too aggressive in its performance. People don't take aggression well, but respond to positive reinforcement.






Comments

  1. Hi,

    I love you guys' idea! If I have a chance, I want to do it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This idea was super fun! I am uncomfortable performing in front of others and I never would have thought to put some sort of mask, head, or costume!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Art 211 Combination project: Smoothie Phone